On Sunday, March 22nd, the Spay the Strays Group will hold our big annual event in San Carlos in conjunction with Spay Panama. The goal will be to spay and neuter at least 150 dogs and cats. To achieve this, we count on our mountain and beach community to donate money, time, and/or supplies generously, as they have in the past.
Volunteers will be needed for three shifts: 7:30 to 11:00; 11:00 to 2:00 and 2:00 to closing. Sheila Scott will be sending an email to those who have volunteered in the past, but we are always looking for new friends. Please contact Sheila at sheilalouisescott@ gmail.com to select your shift. She will tell you what sorts of jobs are available, although sometimes your help may be needed in another area on the day of the event. Typical jobs include:
- Caring for the pet after surgery by flea spraying, cleaning ears, and monitoring health.
- Working as a team to carry sedated animals to and from the operating table.
- Washing the surgical instruments.
- Helping to check the animals in by weighing them and placing labels around their neck.
- Driving crated animals and their owners to and from the event.
- Preparing operating tables.
- Spanish speakers to check people and pets in.
- Spanish speakers to explain aftercare to the pet owners.
The supplies we need include:
- 2 cases of bottled water,
- case of paper towels,
- 4 big bags of dog food,
- 2 big bags of puppy food,
- 2 big bags of cat food,
- 4 packages of gallon-size zip lock bags
- Your loaned cat and/or dog crates. (Please make sure crates are marked with your name and phone number.)
- Lunch for about 25 hungry, tired volunteers (This would be greatly appreciated.)
If can provide any of these items, please coordinate this with Barb at
For a donation of $10.00 for a cat or $20 for a dog, you can help pay for the sterilization of an animal belonging to a low-income family. The cost to host 5 vets and their 9 assistants, and pay their expenses, the medicines and the supplies comes to almost $3,000. Of that, we have raised $1800 from the sale of calendars and dog treats, as well as from private donations.
Our first ever mini-clinic was held in Copecito in January. Another is planned for Sora in May and possibly another one later in the season in Bajo del Rio or Llano Grande, but these will require funding. Spay the Strays has a few fun fundraising events planned over the next few months so stay tuned and please support our efforts and have a good time while doing it. And remember, if you normally give treats to your doggies, why not help our Group at the same time by ordering homemade healthy and yummy dog treats at a cost of only $4.00 a pound? To place an order or for questions and comments, call Mary at 6752-5815 or email at
DIRECTIONS TO CASA COMUNAL in San Carlos:
There are two options. First, turn left into San Carlos from the highway. Go about a quarter of a mile in, past all the stores. The road will fork with a long green and yellow building between the left and right branches. Stay to the right side and immediately there will be a green house and a turquoise house on your right. In between these two houses is a tiny paved road. Take that road. At a short distance the road will either go straight or curve to the right. Follow the curve and soon you will see an open roofed building on the right just before a modern yellow building. That is the Casa Comunal.
Second option: go past the turnoff to San Carlos and make a U-turn at the left turn to Palmar and the Bay View restaurant. Return to the highway and take a right at the SMALL paved road just past Cholos and the Texaco Station. Go down a short way and you will see the modern yellow building on your left followed by the open roofed building.